Sunday, July 10, 2011

Fidel Gastro in San Antonio-Schilo's

     It takes more than four days to eat your way through San Antonio. It is a city of such epicurious wonderfulness that it would take months to do it justice. That being said, I will hit on a few high points over the next few posts. I will try to hit a few different price points and atmospheres for each meal.
     I think today I will highlight Schilo's (pronounced She-lows) on Commerce Street first. This is a new place for me and I could not be happier with it. The atmosphere is A+ and this German deli is adorable. The deli counter is thirty feet long and filled with meats, cheeses and desserts. They also serve homemade root beer that was the best I have ever tasted. It was $3 for a 32 ounce glass if I remember correctly. Even if you don't have time to eat, pick up this root beer to drink as you tour the Alamo gardens or stroll the River walk.
     I ate breakfast at Schilo's my last morning there. I had potato pancakes (a first for me), eggs, and bacon. The pancakes are served with sour cream and applesauce in place of syrup. I loved it. The pancakes were crisp on the outside and nice and soft inside. The sour cream and applesauce made a sweet and tangy topping that I would have never combined. James had eggs, bratwurst and biscuits.The biscuits were tall and light and he loved the bratwurst. They serve Community coffee, my favorite, always excellent.
     This is a "don't miss" stop on any San Antonio trip. Great food, service and prices. Schilo's is wonderful!
    
   

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you've started blogging! I loved your first post :) you should see if the restaurant has a FB page and tag the page in your blog. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roger and the boys have been here. Roger LOVED it and we were going to go there but they're closed on Sundays so we went to Mi Tierra instead.

    And in addition to what PrincessKemi says, if they dont have a FB page to link to, most places have websites now so you could put a link to their website in the blog so people can see the hours, menu, etc.

    ReplyDelete