Thursday, April 5, 2012

Chile Relleno Bake

This time of year I start looking for something a little lighter for dinner. I still want a lot of flavor but in less time and with less sluggishness afterward. In the winter (which I hate) I want to hide inside but in the summer I want to eat and get busy! I found this recipe, tweaked it a bit and was very pleased.

Chile Relleno Bake

8 oz. Mexican cheese blend ( I used Sargentos Reduced Fat)
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated skim milk
3 eggs, beaten
6 corn tortillas, torn into 1 inch pieces
2 cans (4 oz. each) chopped green chiles
1/2 cup salsa (I used Pace Mild)
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped

Spray a 8x8 baking pan with no stick spray. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine 3/4 of the cheese, milk, egg, tortillas, chiles and salsa. Mix well and pour into the prepared dish. Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with the cilantro and remainder of the cheese. Return to oven for about a minute, just until cheese is melted.

You could serve with sour cream or additional salsa but I think it stands alone. A little salad with salsa for dressing would make a nice light meal for a few friends. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment